Pretty Little Liars book series by Sara Shepard

Holly's latest project: ABC Family network TV show based on the Pretty Little Liars series of young adult novels by Sara Shepard. 22 episodes have been ordered so far. <b>Season 3 starts on June 5th (2012) at 8/7c on ABC Family!</b>

The novels?

You may select 1 option

View results

pheobe
#1 Fan

Pretty Little Liars book series by Sara Shepard

Postby pheobe » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:57 pm

Pretty Little Liars is a series of young adult novels by Sara Shepard. The series follows the lives of four girls — Spencer, Hanna, Aria, and Emily — whose clique falls apart after the disappearance of their leader, Alison. Three years later, they begin receiving text messages from someone using the name "A" who threatens to expose their secrets — including long-hidden ones they thought only Alison knew.

Originally developed as a television series by book packaging company Alloy Entertainment, the idea was described as "Desperate Housewives for teens." Alloy met author Shepard and gave her the property to develop into a book series.

Publishers Weekly said of the first novel, "This is clique lit with a mystery twist: the author has spun a plethora of possibilities sure to make readers reach for the next installment in this planned four-book series and beyond." Jennifer Hubert of Amazon.com called it a "shamelessly addictive blend of Desperate Housewives and I Know What You Did Last Summer" that "breathes new life into the tired genre of high society chick lit." Commonsensemedia.org rated it 3 out of 5 stars, saying "This is fluffy guilty-pleasure fare, with few surprises among either the character types or the plotting. Gossip Girl fans probably will enjoy this one -- but parents who read along will find plenty to cringe over."

Novels:
  • Pretty Little Liars (October 3, 2006)
  • Flawless (March 7, 2007)
  • Perfect (August 21, 2007)
  • Unbelievable (May 27, 2008)
  • Wicked (November 25, 2008)
  • Killer (June 30, 2009)
  • Heartless (January 19, 2010)
  • Wanted (June 8, 2010)
  • Twisted (July 5, 2011)
  • Ruthless (December 6, 2011)

Discussion:
Have you read the novels?
Do you think they will make for a great show? Why (not)?
Last edited by pheobe on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
HollyMarieCombs.info staff member

KT_16
Big fan

Postby KT_16 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:27 am

I've read one book, the first one and it's awesome. I love it! The storyline with Aria and her parents sounds very exciting. I'm pretty sure the tv-show will be just as good as the books.

PiperxoxLeo
A fan

Postby PiperxoxLeo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:45 am

I will probably read them eventually, however, I know i'll end up just skipping to the Ella bits...
| i´ve travelled half the world to say i belong to you |

| you and i will be a tough act to follow |

Snake
Major fan

Postby Snake » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:52 pm

Are these Books available in the UK cos if they are Il buy them so I have a better idea of what the show is about.

KT_16
Big fan

Postby KT_16 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:41 pm

Yes, they're available in the UK. I bought them off Ebay from UK bookstores :) I believe Ella's a good character for Holly because Holly will be able to show us a new side of her :)

Snake
Major fan

Postby Snake » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Cool, Im gonna have a look on my lunch break Tommorow. It sounds like the character is very different from what Holly plays but she is a versatile Actress and I have every confidence she can pull it off.

KT_16
Big fan

Postby KT_16 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:45 pm

Yeah, I agree with you. I've started reading the 2nd book now but I only get excited about the Aria parts now :P I guess..Aria is the personality I relate to the most (Aria is described as the outsider of the group)

ellafan
New fan

Postby ellafan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:34 pm

what kind of a character is Ella??? I am curious and can't wait to hear how holly is going to be acting!

KT_16
Big fan

Postby KT_16 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:00 pm

Ella is the type of person who gives her family her everything. Her family is her life. Her husband, Byron, is having an affair with a college student which Ella has no idea about. However, their daughter, Aria (one of the four main characters of the show) catches them together, and Byron makes Aria promise never to tell Ella what she saw. The storyline is that Aria's family is torn apart because everything is revealed to Ella, who was never supposed to know. I believe, this will be shown in the third episode. Aria has known of her father's affair for nearly four years when Ella finds out which leaves Ella crushed. I don't want to give away too much though so..read the books and be excited about the Aria parts.

Snake
Major fan

Postby Snake » Tue May 04, 2010 7:31 pm

I just ordered 2 of the books over the internet cos I cant find any in bookshops, At the time of writing this (Tuesday at 8:30pm) the Supplier says they will be arrive Friday so I cant wait. BTW ellafan, Your username is kind of prophetic, Think about it ;-)

KT_16
Big fan

Postby KT_16 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm on the 7th book (I just started it) everything about the books is just awesome. I think you'll be really pleased when reading them..especially the Ella bits :P Aria is going to receive a lot of texts from her Mom at one point :) like "I miss you already" and stuff like that which is cute :)

Snake
Major fan

Postby Snake » Wed May 05, 2010 5:28 am

Sounds brilliant, Holly seems like the perfect person for the role.

Snake
Major fan

Postby Snake » Thu May 06, 2010 5:20 pm

YAY My Books are here, Pretty Little Liars and Flawless, Im gonna read em now.

KT_16
Big fan

Postby KT_16 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:56 am

I'm happy for you :) enjoy :D

I also believe Holly is the perfect person for the role. She tweeted about Lucy (her tv-daughter) something about "I get to see the lovely Lucy Hale tomorrow. Sadly, Ella is a wee bit upset with Aria" - this is an interesting bit for the audience :) I can't wait to watch it.

PiperxoxLeo
A fan

Postby PiperxoxLeo » Sat May 08, 2010 3:05 pm

I would like to see a still of her as Ella or something, however, I doubt we will see one. :)

I love the names of the Montgomery children. Aria is really interesting and Mike's full name is Michelangelo, isn't it? That's hilarious.

I may read these books if I find them in a library, as I cannot afford to buy them. Maybe someone I know will have them...

Does Ella feature much in the books?
| i´ve travelled half the world to say i belong to you |

| you and i will be a tough act to follow |

Return to “Pretty Little Liars”